Tuesday 1 January 2013

An amazing end to two thousand and twelve

My 2012 ended with a complete high as I had one of the best weeks I have ever had. My auntie, uncle and little cousins, who live in America, came over to England on the 23rd of December until the 31st December. I haven't seen them for three years, so seeing them and spending time with them meant that I had the best Christmas ever!

Christmas Day
Waking up on Christmas Day with two ten year olds bouncing around on my bed with their stockings put the biggest smile on my face. After opening our presents with the rest of my family, we got ourselves ready, and then all helped out with the Christmas dinner, as well as trying out the new toys and gadgets we received. As usual, my mum made an incredible Christmas dinner, topped off with terrible cracker jokes, hats that were too big and a Christmas pudding that had way too much alcohol on it! (We liked watching it alight...) Traditionally, we always play games after dinner which mainly consist of wrapping people in toilet roll, sticking your face in a bowl of flour and having to play Christmas songs with flutes (dont ask).

Boxing Day
After an exhausting Christmas Day, the day after consisted of a long lie-in and a day in onesies! After successfully reaching 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and having spent the day lazing around eating chocolate and watching films, we were off to the pantomime! I haven't been to a panto since I was little, and I'm a sucker for anything remotely funny... so I was very excited! The performance was a take of Aladdin, and after watching people slip over (not scripted) on custard pies, and being deafened by little children shouting "it's behind you," overall it was absolutely hilarious.


The 27th
My cousins live in Colorado up in the mountains, therefore they are able to go skiing and snowboarding a lot. We live near a snow centre, so we decided to take them there to show of their (and my) "skills." I've been skiing a few times... and I wouldn't say I was good... I can't really control my body when I'm attached to skis, resulting in me heading very quickly down the hill with no elegance whatsoever! However, skiing was very fun and I loved watching my cousins fly down the hill with a lot more style than I had! 

The 28th
As every day was soggy and rainy, most of our activities were indoors. This day consisted of go-karting. This was the activity I was most excited for, and as my two cousins, my brother, dad, auntie, uncle and I all put on our racing suits and got in to our go karts, I knew I HAD to win. Road rage took over me and I was racing round the track cutting everyone up, skidding round corners, and "accidentally" crashing in to people causing them to fly off the track (safely of course). As I raced round, I could see my mum watching at the side of the track telling me to go faster as my brother was catching up... safe to say no one wanted me to drive them home afterwards!

The 29th
Our second last day of activities included indoor skydiving! I've been skydiving before, but I've never been to an indoor centre, so I was looking forward to this. Once again, we got given smelly, sweaty body suits to wear, as well as very cool hat and goggles. We were shown the body position that we were meant to take up once in the skydiving tube, as well as the signs and signals the instructor would give us throughout our time there. After watching both my auntie and my cousins have a go, it was my turn, and I stood at the edge of the tube ready to leap. I managed to get in to the correct position, while being deafened by the noise of the fan roaring below me, and also being very aware of my face wobbling from the strength of the wind...! The experience of flying was really good and it was great fun!

The 30th
This was the last day that we all had together before my family flew back to America, so we decided to take them up to London for the day. Typically, we had to go and see Big Ben and all the sights of London, as well as going for a lovely family meal to end the week. 

Overal it was such a good week and definitely one I'll never ever forget!

Gemma x

No comments:

Post a Comment