Sunday 3 February 2013

Django Unchained

Release poster
Django Unchained follows the story of a slave named Django. He is freed by a German bounty hunter, and works with him over the winter months, later setting out to free his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation. The film was released in to cinemas on January 18th 2013 and has since had a lot of excellent reviews from websites and other film directors. The American western film, written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, won five Baftas and Golden Globes and it has also been announced that it is nominated for five Oscars. 

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the film as I'm not much of a western film fan, however a lot of my friends had said that it was really good so I thought I'd join the bandwagon and go and see it!

The beginning of the film follows a group of chained slaves being led through typical western landscapes with western music in the background. Not long in to the film and the action had already started with people being shot and killed; something which was a regular occurrence throughout. However this was something I expected by looking at the release poster and the trailer. 

The film had a lot of humour in it, primarily from one of the main characters Dr. King Schultz, who was played by Christoph Waltz. I think this made the film more appealing to wider audiences, as the humour made the action scenes more than just mass killing sprees! I love anything remotely funny so the subtle humour throughout is what made the film even better for me.

Jamie Foxx played the film's protagonist, Django, while Leonardo DiCaprio played the ruthless owner of "Candyland" plantation, Calvin Candie. Both actors played their roles really well and worked well as enemies. 

The film lastest for roughly two and a half hours, but surprisingly didn't feel that long at all! I'd definitely recommend anyone to go and see it (if you're 18 or over obviously...) as it caters for all viewers with it's gory action, humour and the general story.

I've posted the trailer below so have a look and see what you think!

Gemma x 

No comments:

Post a Comment