Wednesday 30 January 2013

Les Misérables

Last night my evening was spent at the cinema watching +Les Miserables. I am a great lover of musicals and Les Mis is always one that I have wanted to see but have never had to chance to. Along with a lot of other people, when I heard it was coming in to cinemas as a film version I was quite surprised but definitely excited to see what director Tom Hooper could do to present the well known musical on screen. 

Sitting down in the cinema, I waited for the film to start, wondering what would happen and if I would enjoy it as much as other people had said they did. However, as soon as the film began I was hooked! The singing was unbelievable and captured my attention straight away. Well known songs such as "I Dreamed a Dream," "On My Own" and "Do You Hear the People Sing?" were included within the film, and even though a lot of the songs were shortened, they still had a huge effect on the audience and made the film amazing. 

Two of my favourite actresses, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried, were part of the cast which also made me enjoy it a lot more! I love most of the films that they are in, although I was initially pleasantly surprised to hear that Anne Hathaway was in Les Misérables as she isn't best known for singing. Her acting in the film was extraordinary and really bought emotion to the story. Her character, Fantine, portrayed a worker who was dismissed for having a daughter, and in desperate need to support her, Fantine becomes a prostitute. The heart wrenching scene in which she earns her money and then realises what she has done ends with "I Dreamed a Dream" which reduced me (and I think everyone in the cinema) to tears. Hathaway's version of the song is also currently at number 31 in the UK charts. 

The whole film was directed and produced so well as it kept the audience captured throughout. I'd just about recovered from crying when I'd be struck again with another moving scene, or induced to laughter by the scenes involving Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter; two more well known actors who starred in the film.

I was left speechless as it came to an end with Hugh Jackman singing along with the rest of the incredible cast. I really liked how the songs were intertwined throughout the film, some being repeated but sung with different lyrics or different verses being presented, as it really made you feel more emotion and connect with the characters.

I would 100% go and see Les Misérables again and I'd probably cry at the same parts over and over. It was truly one of the best films I've seen in a while and has really set the bar for future films of 2013.

If you haven't already seen the film, watch the trailer below and see if that will tempt you...

Gemma x

No comments:

Post a Comment