Sunday 14 October 2012

Ugly Betty and I

Photos from Google
Ugly Betty was an American drama/comedy series that aired from 2006 - 2010. Like many people in the UK and the US, I was a huge Ugly Betty fan from the start, and I followed her journey through Mode Magazine as she tried to pursue her dreams. As cheesy as it sounds, watching Ugly Betty helped me to realise my own dream to become a journalist.
Betty Suarez, a quirky 22 year old, lands her job at Mode and although no one believes in her or thinks she will get anywhere in the business, she proves them all wrong. Betty proves that with hard work, never giving up, and a huge smile, that anything is possible. 
Ugly Betty star America Ferrera

I think that actress America Ferrera plays the character of Betty extremely well, as she moves through the four series, making a slow physical transformation, but never forgetting her roots and who she really is. That is what I admire the most. 

The entire series was originally based on the Columbian soap opera Yo soy Betty, la fea ("I am Betty, the ugly") in which Betty works as a secretary at EcoModa. Although both stories hold a lot of resemblance, the directors of Ugly Betty in the US tried to alter the story to make it more appealing the the Western audience.

Gemma x

No comments:

Post a Comment